24.5 Lord, You Are My Friend

(Psalm 55:13-23)

But it is you, my companion,
my colleague and close friend.
We had intimate talks with each other
and worshiped together in the Temple.
May my enemies die before their time;
may they go down alive into the world
of the dead!
Evil is in their homes and in their hearts.

But I call to the Lord God for help,
and he will save me.
Morning, noon and night
my complaints and groans go up to him,
and he will hear my voice.
He will bring me safely back
from the battles that I fight against
so many enemies.
God, who has ruled from eternity,
will hear me and defeat them;
for they refuse to change,
and they do not fear him.

My former companion attacked his friends;
he broke his promises.
His words were smoother than cream,
but there was hatred in his heart;
His words were as soothing as oil,
but they cut like sharp swords.

Leave your troubles with the Lord,
and he will defend you;
he never lets honest men be defeated.

But you, O God, will bring those murderers
and liars to their graves
before half their life is over.
As for me, I will trust in you.

Comments