80.4 Prayer In Great Distress

(Psalm 69:1-18)

Save me, O God! The water is up to my neck;
I am sinking in deep mud, and there is no solid ground;
I am out in deep water, and the waves are about to drown me.
I am worn out from calling for help, and my throat is aching.
I have strained my eyes, looking for your help.

Those who hate me for no reason are more numerous than the hairs of my head.
My enemies tell lies against me; they are strong and want to kill me;
They made me give back things I did not steal.
My sins, O God, are not hidden from you; you know how foolish I have been.
Don't let me bring shame on those who trust in you, Sovereign Lord Almighty!
Don't let me bring disgrace to those who worship you, O God of Israel!

It is for your sake that I have been insulted and that I am covered with shame.
I am like stranger to my brothers, like a foreigner to my family.

My devotion to your Temple burns in me like a fire; the insults which are hurled at you fall on me.
I dress myself in clothes of mourning, and they laugh at me.
They talk about me in the streets, and drunkards make up songs about me.

But as for me, I will pray to you, Lord; answer me, God, at a time you choose.
Answer me because you keep your promise to save.

Save me from sinking in the mud; keep me safe from my enemies, safe from the deep water.
Don't let the flood come over me; don't let me drown in the depths or sink into the grave.

Answer me, O Lord, in the goodness of your constant love; in your great compassion turn to me!
Don't hide yourself from your servant; I am in great trouble--answer me now!
Come to me and save me; rescue me from my enemies.

Comments